Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Status Update-- Wednesday, March 4

I spent the night at the hospital with Caitlin last night. The nurses hooked me up with a cloth recliner, which apparently is a rare commodity around these parts and it's pretty comfortable!

Caitlin had a rough night, I suspect in part because of the move and the new surroundings, nurses, etc.

Her feeding tube came out last night and it appears that she aspirated a little, so unfortunately, she's back to no liquids or nutrients; after being able to enjoy Sprite yesterday, that's really hard for her.

She had a fever last night and her pulse was pretty elevated, so they ran an EKG and did a couple of chest x-rays. She had a CT scan today to check out her lungs. Her white blood cell count is really high, which means there is an infection somewhere (not uncommon in the hospital), so she's back on antibiotics. They are trying to figure out the source of the infection.

Needless to say, neither of us got much sleep last night, but she's resting peacefully now and I hope there won't be too many interruptions today, so she can rest up. She's a little down and anxious to "Go home...and go swimming" as she wrote to me earlier.

Again, I am reminded that there are going to be good days and bad ones. I hate to see her in pain/upset/uncomfortable/scared, but am trying to keep a positive attitude especially when I'm around her. We're going to wash her hair later (with non-hospital issued shampoo AND conditioner!), so she's excited about that. Anything that we can do to normalize this situation is a good thing right now.

Please send lots of prayers today and if you have a spare moment, send on an e-greeting to Caitlin. I think today especially is one when it'd be great for her to know how many people out there are thinking about her!

To send an e-greeting:
http://www.ukhealthcare.uky.edu/eGreet

She's in Room 564. (List Caitlin Kannensohn as the name and Lexington, KY as the hometown).

P.S. She just received a couple of e-greetings-- Thanks, Sam!

P.P.S. She just received about 10 more! Thank you all! I can't wait til she wakes up and sees them!

-Leah

4 comments:

  1. So, did the ascii monkey come out okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did, indeed. Will show it to her when she wakes up! Thanks so much-- what other animals do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hrm, depends on what I can do with 500 character limit. I'll send something later when we hit lunch. Maybe I'll just write a bunch of router configuration code that no one will understand. That'll make me cool!

    I can't back that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I copied Sam's ascii idea! I give him full credit! There's a butterfly flying your way right now.

    ReplyDelete