Monday, March 9, 2009

Status Update -- Sunday 8 March

For those who've "been there" (either as a patient or as concerned family), it will come as no surprise that a hospital room possibly is less restful than Grand Central Station!

Yesterday Caitlin showed more sustained stamina throughout the day than before, but she's still visibly weak, and welcomes times when she can just take a nap.

The wound is still open but sealed. Even to a non-medically trained eye, it's obviously healthy. So, once again, we happily report another day of progress. Caitlin remains stoic and in good spirits, but she's showing signs of worrying unduly about little things. We view even that as a strong signal that she's healing, that return to her normal "worry-wart" self.

Once again, we cannot adequately praise the UKMC staff. We encounter a seemingly boundless spirit of genuine concern, professionalism, optimism, plain talking, and good humor everywhere we look: from the medical staff, to housekeeping, dieticians, cafeteria workers, shuttle bus drivers, parking lot attendants, volunteers, etc., etc. No wonder they are part of miracles every day.

1 comment:

  1. Just a late-night note to let you know I was thinking about you even in the midst of my tax return preparation. Isn't that an inspiring thought! We went to the Pre-K play at the PTO meeting tonight to see our little Quad buddies (Marley, Sydney, Emily, & Lindsey) perform. They were a hoot and did great. They really seemed to like the applause from the audience, and of course, joined in.

    John and I tried out the new (at least to us) fishing boat again Sunday. (Yes, I went to church first!) It didn't leak a drop, so I guess I'm going to get my $100 worth. Unfortunately, I only got about 50 cents worth of fish, but John did o.k. I guess it wasn't my day since I caught one that broke the line and I was actually pulling it in by hand, but it got off the hook. John thought it was hilarious, but had to admit that it would have made a good story, had I gotten it in. (Hesters always need more good stories to tell). Well, if you're still awake after you read this rambling, I'm glad you are doing better, and was absolutely thrilled to hear your voice yesterday. Love, Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete