Thursday, February 19, 2009

Status Update-- Thursday, February 19

Caitlin underwent surgery again today (her fourth).  

While everything looks good inside (blood flowing where it should, bowels intact, etc.), she is still too swollen for them to suture her up.  They will try again in a couple of days.

She remains on the ventilator and probably will be for a day or so more.  If she isn't ready to breathe on her own by the weekend, they will switch her to a trach tube.  Seems awful to contemplate, but -- in the scheme of things...not really.

She has developed a little pneumonia, which is not unexpected.  She's been on a low dosage of antibiotics since Saturday, but they stepped it up significantly today. 

For the above reasons, she was too sedated for us to feel she was aware we were there.  What was most important to us, of course, was that SHE was there.

Finally, if the CAT scan they run tomorrow reconfirms the first report of no neck/spinal injuries, they will remove her cumbersome neck brace.

Today was another reminder that we have to take this day by day and learn to be patient and ever grateful for even tiny signs of progress.

Please keep those prayers coming.  They are working!

Also, we've had some requests for our address:

The Kannensohns
320 McDowell Road
Lexington, KY 40502

--Leah

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates, Leah. I know you don't know me (I only met you once when you were very small.) I have been praying for Caitlin and your entire family since I heard about her accident. I enjoyed seeing the photos you posted on your blog. I am proud to tell people that I look a heck of a lot like your Mom! That could be because she looks exactly like my Mom though. All my best to everyone. Cousin, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Leah. Continued prayers for y'all.

    ReplyDelete