Thursday, April 2, 2009

Run Through the Jungle

I think my titles of my blogs these days are just going to be songs I'm listening to - either lyrics or the title. Why? Cause I feel like it.

My docs had emergency OR trauma procedures to do so my docs didn't make rounds this morning. Some interns did, however. Their bedside manner was ATROCIOUS. Hopefully they'll learn some before they finish their residency. I mentioned it to one of the surgeons and he said he'd take care of it. I don't want to get anyone in trouble or stir the pot but when I'm asking a question about my health while you're walking out and you keep walking, that denotes a lack of respect. I can't respect a doctor if he can't respect me. It's just not feasible. And before anyone asks, I was talking loud enough.

Enough of my belly-aching (no pun intended). Other than that, it's been a pretty awesome day. I got some more Nintendo DS games in the mail. I've been saving money like crazy so I thought I'd treat myself a little bit. I also got myself a Superman hat (to replace the one I lost) and a few other odds and ends. I got a camera to take pics of, well, everything. I have a nice 35mm SLR but I don't really like taking that out unless it's a really special occasion. For the day-to-day random pics of life, I'm going with the Nikon Coolpix. It's red, too (my fav color)!

Trish asked me if I could type out the list of my goals to accomplish and such but since it's 95 things, I'll type it in a word doc and send it to anyone who's interested. Just give me your email.
One of the things on the list is to get a bartending license. Why? Because I think it's important to learn a new trade because you never know what's going to happen. Bartenders make good money and with the economy being what it is, it never hurts to learn a new vocation.
So here's my plan for the future. It's exciting because the military kind of plans things for you in your life - now I get to figure out my career path more on my own than I have in a long while. So here it is:
1. Take the 6 week school to be a Nursing Technical assistant
2. Work as a tech for about a month to see if becoming a full RN appeals to me.
3. If it doesn't, go back to the drawing board. If being an RN DOES appeal to me, sign up for classes at BCTC and UK to finish degree and sign up for nursing school (3 year program).
4. Be a nurse and hopefully save people.

Someone pointed out to me today that I'm ahead of the curve. I thought initially they meant because I've seen a lot of procedures done on me and I know how they work and in a lot of cases, i can do them to myself (blood thinner shots, ileostomy care, mucus fistula care, the inner workings of the intestinal system, etc). What they meant (and explained to me, of course) was that I'd make a great nurse because I've been in the bed before. I've seen the hospital from a different perspective and when I run across someone with a similar medical problem to myself, I'll be able to relate and give better advice because I've been in the trenches. Excellent point. Even if they don't have my same afflictions, I know what it's like to be stuck in a hospital and want to go home...to feel lonely sometimes...to feel scared and restless...etc. All very normal but it doesn't mean these feelings are easy to get through on one's own.

I think basically the accident was a catalyst for change that needed to happen in my life and the lives of others around me. All the blessings that have happened were MEANT to happen. I think sometimes God uses people as instruments of His divine plan and it's best not to question it. Granted there is free will for all mankind but God occasionally will shove us in a certain direction and He will NEVER give you more than you can handle. I don't think I'm a prophet, a martyr, or a saint or anything - just a regular girl that was chosen for a specific purpose because my accident was the first domino to fall in the long line of things that NEEDED to happen.

Oh, I almost forgot! Yesterday I gave Leah her Kindle 2. She was SO psyched and happy that I bought it for her. Again, I've saved up lots of money and she very much deserves it. She's been there for me from the very beginning. As soon as I got out of the ICU, she was right there ready to sacrifice sleeping in her own bed and being woken up by doctors and nurses coming in all the time just so she could sleep in a recliner next to her baby sister. She and my momma made my room at home SO beautiful and comfortable. I really can't list all the things she's done because it's a pretty long list. My parents helped out a lot too, of course and I'm very grateful. Sam is another person that was at the hospital all the time. I think he is neck and neck with Leah on that score. I got him a couple of gifts, too. Of course, both Leah and Sam were peeved that I spent money on them. Well, tough cookies, guys! They were happy with their gifts. Just seeing their faces light up...SO awesome.

I really wish I had enough money to buy EVERYONE a Kindle or something like that because everyone I know has been so supportive and helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited funds. 

Ok that's enough outta me! LATER!!! :-D

4 comments:

  1. Still think you should check out EMT business. See if emergency care is something you would have fun with.


    Monkeys,
    Graves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cait -

    Bill Marsh (Joe Ann's son-in-law) was your flight nurse. He flies with a friend of mine, and Bill took over Chris' Facebook the other day to ask me about your progress. In the course of that conversation, he told me he would love to take you on a tour of the helicopter when you get to feeling better. Maybe if you do that, it will open up an interest in being a flight nurse.
    Jackie Long

    ReplyDelete
  3. make the interns watch Scrubs and take notes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie - you're the best! I'll keep in contact with you about this if you don't mind being the liason for a bit. I am not too fond of flying but I'm always up to new experiences!!! It'd be just like being an EMT (like my friend Graves) and a nurse at the same time. I'm completely interested and please tell him I say thank you for the offer! Wow! I'm so stoked!

    Amanda - there is no saving these bastards. I had an ambien last night complete with sleep and no hallucinations. Stupid newbies. Where's Doctor Cox when you need him? He is by far my favorite character. I know everyone has to start somewhere but c'mon! Bedside manner should be the FIRST thing you learn and the FIRST thing you master. It's all common sense - don't treat your patients like children, idiots, or dead meat.

    ReplyDelete